Home » Transportation & Trucking

Transportation & Trucking

Get a Quote

Transportation & Trucking

If you operate a transportation business or are responsible for a fleet of vehicles of any kind – we can help you manage your transportation risk and keep you safely on the road by finding coverage fit for you. 

HMS Insurance can provide coverage for vehicles, trailers (owned and non-owned), cargo and warehousing. Commercial vehicle insurance can sometimes be challenging to navigate on your own, so we’re here to walk you through the process and to provide you with clear definitions of terms and provide premium options, policy details, price comparisons and insurance extensions unique to your business. Whether it’s local or long-distance, owner-operated or fleet, pickups, vans, buses or big rigs, we’ll make sure you’re covered from axle to axle.

Who Needs Transportation Insurance?

There are several businesses that could benefit from this type of insurance. Your business could be long-hauling cargo across Canada and the United States, or you could simply be transporting goods across town. Your business could include one vehicle or a fleet of (+) five vehicles. Regardless of your situation, we can find coverage fit for you. Our insurance partners are looking for businesses with a minimum of 3 years experience and an active Commercial Vehicle Owner’s Registration (CVOR). Coverage is available for:

  • Trucking for agriculture
  • Owner/operators
  • Refrigerated trucks
  • Dump trucks for sand and gravel
  • Professional movers 
  • And so much more…

Trucking & Transportation

Types of Coverage Available

The type of trucking insurance and policy you’ll need depends on several factors, including types of vehicle, cargo, the size of the enterprise, and operating radius. Commercial vehicle insurance for truckers will always offer protection for third party bodily injury & property damage. Whether you drive tractor trailers, cargo trucks, flatbeds, dump trucks or straight trucks, the basic coverage will include:

  • Commercial auto liability covers damage to the other party involved in an accident. For instance, if your truck driver is backing the truck into a loading dock and it crashes into the lift of the dock, your insurance provider will pay for the dock repairs.
  • Cargo insurance covers cargo that is stolen or damaged while being hauled. For example, if your truck is hauling electronics and they get damaged because the driver takes a sharp turn, this damage will be covered by cargo insurance. Also, if electronics get stolen from the truck during transit, your insurance policy will cover the loss sustained by your customer. This is separate from your auto policy.
  • Physical damage insurance provides coverage for your truck and/or trailer and will compensate you for repairs or an entire replacement of the unit after an accident, such as going into the ditch due to bad weather.

Request a trucking & transportation quote today by contacting your local HMS Insurance broker. Servicing areas such as North Middlesex, London, Parkhill, Grand Bend, Thedford, Ailsa Craig, Strathroy, Lambton Shores, Sarnia, Chatham, Watford, etc.